Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Rocking on in Vegas

Seeing Rock of Ages in Vegas wasn't on the agenda on my recent trip. I actually wanted to see Jabbawokeez, but they were dark.

While trying to find our way out of the Venetian one night, we passed by the theater where Rock of Ages was showing, and impulsively, I bought tickets.

The only thing I knew was that it was a Broadway musical that was recently turned into a movie starring Tom Cruise.

I knew that most Vegas productions are top notched, and this play consisted of pop rock songs from the 80s. Being that I graduated high school in 1987, this sealed the deal for me.

The musical tells the story of a "small town girl" who lands in Los Angeles to follow her dreams. She befriends a boy who works on a Sunset Strip bar that is facing financial difficulties and the threat of closure from the mayor. The bar owner brings back a popular band, whose lead singer first started out in the bar, for one last show before breaking up.

The production was excellent. While the storyline didn't break new ground, the dialog was funny; the acting was great and the singing even greater.

We had a fantastic time, laughing, singing our hearts out and waxing nostalgia that the music brought.

Poster. Note the partial song list. How can this not be good?



Stage. The live band played on the stage of the fictitious bar, front and center, vs being hidden in a right below the stage.



They passed out battery operated "lighters." You had the squeeze it to turn it on, and we were prompted to hold it up, lit, during several parts of the play. (Sorry for the blurry picture.)

1 comment:

  1. I thought about going to this, but '80s music is just about on the edge of my time. It's more my sons' time. May still do it, though.

    ReplyDelete